Saturday, May 4, 2019

Rainbow Unicorn Confetti Launching Card (Jane's Doodles DT Spotlight + IC #9)


Hi everyone! :o)

I hope you're all enjoying the weekend and having a great time. :o)

Yesterday was my turn to be on the spotlight over at Jane's Doodles and I shared this Rainbow Unicorn Confetti Launching Card:o)


This is a CONFETTI LAUNCHING CARDI made this Interactive Card (IC) for my Celebrating 30 Days of Pisces 2019 personal challenge. If you want to find out more about it, just follow the link provided. :o)

This is a ninth type of IC I made for my challenge. I made 15 different types of interactive cards during Pisces period, which was my personal challenge. I completed my challenge, achieved my goals and had a lot of fun. I wrote a short review about the challenge here.

To make this card I was inspired by wishes of my niece Nika (5). Prior her birthday (in March) she asked for a card that has an Unicorn, Rainbow colors, blue and/or pink colors in abundance, as that are her favorite colors, and it had to shake or throw confetti. :o) Task successfully completed. She was overwhelmed. :o)

I used stamps from two BEAUTIFUL Jane's Doodles stamp setsUnicorn and Magical, and tiny heart dies from 'Stinks' dies.



How I made this card...

stamped an adorable Unicorn on a watercolor paper and watercolored it using Distress Inks. After drying, I fussy cut the Unicorn and traced edges with black marker.

stamped one more Unicorn on a white cardstock paper, colored it with black marker and fussy cut it, this time leaving white thin border around the Unicorn.

glued both images together, the watercolored Unicorn over the black one. I did this because the watercolor paper I use is very thin and I needed thicker image for my card.

I drew sparkles on the Unicorn with a white gel pen and a white pigment ink pen. To do so, I was inspired with my own card made last year during my personal challenge (here), originally inspired by amazing coloring by Marika Gewalli (here). :o)

With the image ready, I worked on a card construction.

I prepared a white top folded card base, a rainbow patterned paper panel and two white cardstock paper panels. I glued the rainbow patterned paper panel on the front of the card base. I stamped a sentiment 'Make a Wish' on one white cardstock paper panel and glued it on the card base, over the patterned paper panel. I glued some 3-D foam on the Unicorn and glued it on the card base front.

Then I stamped a sentiment 'Happy Birthday' on the other white panel and glued it inside the card.

I didn't stamp sentiments perfectly and I don't have any stamping tool, so I fixed the sentiments and fill tiny gaps with a black fine liner. :o)

Next up was a confetti flinger. I saw at  Jennifer McGuire how to assemble the confetti flinger (here). I don't have dies Jennifer used to make the confetti flinger, instead I drew my own confetti flinger template. I didn't manage to draw the template on a computer and to share it with you, but you can find great tutorial on how to make confetti flinger (from start to beginning, including template) on Karolyn Loncon blog. Mine template is a bit smaller.

Following my template, I made the confetti flinger from the white cardstock paper and a tiny envelope from a vellum paper. I assembled the flinger and glued it inside the card. Then I glued tiny envelope on the flinger. I tested the mechanism, but it didn't work so well. The vellum paper I used was not thin enough and confetti didn't launch. As I didn't have any other thin paper in my stash, I curved envelope edges a bit, to leave some open space on the envelope. I tested the mechanism again... successful. :o)


With the mechanism working properly, I could make the final steps. I die cut bunch of tiny hearts from the patterned paper scraps and the white cardstock paper scraps, filled the flinger envelope with confetti, set the flinger and closed the card with a tiny clothes pin, just to ensure card won't open until birthday girl opened it. :o)

Here is a short video of confetti flinger in action. I don't have movie editor option to make slow motion video, so I'm sharing it with you as it is. :o)


Card measurements: 95 mm x 127 mm (3 3/4" x 5")

List of supplies :
  • Jane's Doodles 'Unicorn' stamp set
  • Jane's Doodles 'Magical' stamp set
  • Jane's Doodles 'Stinks' dies
  • white cardstock paper
  • watercolor paper
  • vellum paper
  • Lawn Fawn 'Really Rainbow' petite paper pack
  • Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
  • Tim's Holtz Distress Inks:
    • Festive Berries
    • Spiced Marmalade
    • Mustard Seed
    • Twisted Citron
    • Cracked Pistachio
    • Lucky Clover
    • Salty Ocean
    • Blueprint Sketch
    • Wilted Violet
  • Stabilo Fibre Tip Pen (Marker), Black 68/46
  • Uniball Signo White
  • Uniball Signo White Pigment Ink pen
  • Mitsubishi Uni Pin 0.2
  • two small white rubber bands
  • tiny light blue clothes pin
  • UHU liquid glue
  • 3-D foam squares, 5 x 5 x 2 mm
  • Fiskars High Precision Personal Paper Trimmer
  • bone folder
  • Sizzix Big Shot
  • acrylic block (102 mm x 102 mm)
  • bone folder
  • Martha Stewart scalloped paper puncher (to punch tiny holes on the confetti flinger)
  • Marabu fine rounded paint brush no. #0
  • scissors
  • paper towels
  • water



Thank you for stopping by and your kind feedback. Enjoy and smile! :o)


Milka

6 comments:

  1. A beatiful card and a sweet surprise inside, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! :D How fun interactive mechanism!!!! You are so clever!! This is a brilliant card and well done for making you own fix that works perfectly!! Thanks for sharing the link for the flinger! :)
    Amazing card design and the rainbow unicorn is so sweet!! Your niece Nika surely LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kako ljubka voščilnica. Všeč mi je samorog in seveda super presenečenje v notranjosti.
    Lp

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable!! What a fun way to make the card interactive!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is gorgeous! Love the delicate image and the wonderful rainbow theme; can't beat lots of lovely glitter too! x

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE READ BEFORE LEAVING YOUR COMMENT.

Thank you so much for taking time to comment on my blog posts! I read and appreciate it.

Those leaving a comment on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name, link to their profile or blog, as well as comments they leave are visible to all those who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.

Blogger itself provides options to all users and commentators to delete comments they left on any blog. This blog is no exception. If you wish to delete your published comment or more of them from my blog, you are free to do so. If any technical difficulty occurs, you should contact Blogger or Google to solve these problems.

Read my full Data Protection and Privacy Policy Statement .

Due to a lot of Spam in comments (disturbing content), I switched on comment moderation. None disturbing, violent and offensive comments will be approved by me and published on my blog. It will be deleted immediately. Commentators leaving disturbing comments on my blog will be blocked and reported to the Blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...